This blog is the continuing dialog between two faces of rilla (most of the time!) Rant and rave with us. Leave a comment. Click on the 'nickname' button if you don't have a Google ID already.
NOTE: All my photos and posts are copyrighted and may not be used by anyone, elsewhere without my permission.

My Pic Of The Day

My Pic Of The Day
San Francisco Cable Car

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

41 -- Conference Come and Gone


Another SCBWI summer conference is over, sigh.



The good news is that as always I came away with so much -- enthusiasm, energy, motivation, excitement and...

QUOTES:

Sherman Alexie-- Kids all of all classes and backgrounds feel the same way--Trapped. They send out the same message--My choices are being made for me.



David Wiesner attempts to put the familiar into a different context.

Kadir Nelson -- A good book is one that speaks, to a personal truth that is also a universal truth, with honesty, telling the story in an exceptional way.

Eve Bunting -- Ask of your books Is this worth saying?

Karen Cushman -- I write because I could not dance. Give power to thoughts. By putting words in the right order you can nudge the world a little.



Krista Marino -- Never mistake voice for dialogue. You must frame the story through the protagonist's experience.



Holly Black -- Fantasy actualizes metaphor What distinguishes fantasy from horror is the sense of awe that accompanies the fear.

Frank Portman -- Who needs happiness, I'd rather have you!"

Dinah Stevenson -- Craft is what makes the writer's ideas both digestible and delicious. The four C's are: Creativity (Leave the city of your comfort and center the wilderness of your intuition--Alan Alda) Craft, Community, and Chocolate :)

Kathleen Duey -- If Captain Underpants can protect a child from listening to her parents fight--it is literature.

FRIENDS!




Stephanie and Me at the Blue Moon Ball


Stephanie Roommate, Stephanie Roth Sisson, Award-winning illustrator extraordinaire and ex-roommate, Fred Sisson, Stephanie's new roommate.



Elizabeth Byrd and Julia Collard


Debbie Ridpath Ohi and Me.



The Unique Lisa Yee and Dan Santat...Oh and Peep in a Taco.




10 comments:

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Rilla's Back! You and Stephanie look marvelous. I am a teeny bit jealous I couldn't go but so pleased to see how happy you both look. And the blue hair is very cool. I've been reading lots of writers' blogs and it sounds like it was truly wonderful.....maybe next year for me.

Stephanie Roth Sisson said...

Hi Rilla! I was hoping you would be back to blogging!! HOw fun was that little hiatus to LA?? It's funny how quickly that time comes up again- but this next year I'm sure we will see you before the next conference.

xo Steph

rilla jaggia said...

Hey Tricia,
Yes! I'm back...the body knows it...but the brain refuses to believe. It was a truly wonderful experience as always. The masterclass with Krista Marino was worth every second before and during the conference. What a treat. Looking forward to your being there next year. I do hope you got a lot of writng done in the meantime!

rilla jaggia said...

Hey Stephanie,
Congratulations again and again and again for your fabulous third time in a row award for your heartwarming beautiful art! So great to see you and your new roommate. He's a keeper! See you soon!

Katia said...

Hey, Rilla, so nice to have you back in the blogging world, and to see pics of the fabulous trio. You all look great. Hope I can be part of it again, maybe next year...

rilla jaggia said...

Hey Katia,
How much we all missed you. Looking forward to the next time you will be in this neck of the woods!

Anonymous said...

Looks great, Rilla! You all were certainly having a wonderful time, as usual! Wish I could have been there to see everyone again, especially "illustrator Stephanie and her new room-mate" :-)
But WHERE did you take that "behind bars" photo? So funny!
Marge

rilla jaggia said...

Hey Marge,
it was a wonderful conference as usual, but we missed you greatly!

Quite a treat to meet Stephanie's new roomie :)

The behind bars pictures were taken at a Mexican restaurant in the mall -- Pink Taco!

Rita said...

Hi, Rilla! I was so happy to finally meet you in person, after seeing you everywhere online! Thanks for sharing these photos and highlights; we mentioned some of these same gems at our recapping-the-Summer-Conference Schmooze last night. My photos are up now, too, by the way (since you asked): here and here. And on the SCBWI Web site, and at my blog . . . :D

Cheers,
Rita

rilla jaggia said...

Hey Rita,

Great meeting you at the conference too! Thanks for putting up all those gorgeous photos. I'll let you know about KT. Are you going to be at the Working Writer's Retreat? If not, I know I'll see you soon, sometime, somewhere!